Sunday 1 April 2012

Tue 27th march - day 1 trekking

Nayapul - Tikhedhunga   3.5km    500m climb

We left Pokhara at 9am. Couple of hours on the bus and we arrived at Nayapul, the starting point! We were dropped at the side of the road (there are no bus stops in Nepal) and we made our way down through a hill side village until we reached at ACAP checkpoint.
crossing the brige into trekking land!

Today we're going to Hile which is a 3hr trek. We leave and pretty soon I am breathless..we are in the mid day heat at this stage. It's really tough...then we reach the beginning of....the steps (its funny cause I wrote this in my notebook at the time and now transcribing...I had no idea of the word 'steps' at this stage!!!!! Anyway, whatever rhythm I could keep before was gone out the window with these randomly placed, randomly shaped rocks.

We got talking to a porter. The porters are Nepalis people who are paid to carry trekkers luggage, if they so wish. He was a tiny guy, a bit like Aston from JLS , for comparison. He was carrying a huge load on his back and it made me realise that I really could not complain!

carrying food up the mountain!

We reached Hile, but Aston, real name Abilas said that Tikhedhunga was just an hour away and it would be worth trekking on as it's an hour less tomorrow.So, I put my head down, as much as I didn't want to and continued pounding the steps until I looked up and we were there!!!

I stopped to talk to Abilas, ignoring the sound of bells, next thing I knew I was knocked to the side by a donkey carrying supplies, followed by about seven more. * Note to self: bells are a warning noise, duh...
I pinned myself to the wall and waited for them to pass!



This is our tea house
Tikhedunga is a tiny village consisting of about five tea houses. We checked in to one, 200ruppees for the night , that €2! Had some nice food, shared a beer now off to bed.
luke relaxing in our room!


Tomorrow is the tough day....I'm scared!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment