Tuesday 17 April 2012

Bye Bye Nepal


I am sitting in the airport getting ready to leave for New Delhi. Abilas met us this morning and came with us to wave us off.We will miss that little guy!

Abilas with his farwell presents!
It feels like we have spent far longer than one month in Nepal, it has really become a second home. The people as so welcoming and friendly and do their best to help in every way possible. We didn't move around so much this time so really got to know lots of the locals..and word travels fast in Kathmandu. There was one guy in particular who was obviously told my name by someone else and would go out of his way to shout at me any time I passed!



Even though we were staying down a very dark lane way which looked very scary at night, we were advised how it is still very safe to walk there as there is a massive presence of 'tourist police.' Basically, if something happens a tourist, or even if there is a bad tourist who accuses a Nepalese person in the wrong, they will get into huge trouble from the tourist police. In all the time I was there I genuinely felt completely safe. They really want to do their best for tourists, a massive 45%of their economy is based of the tourist boom so you can imagine how they want and need to protect this industry.



Nepal is a truly authentic country and oozes in the authenticity which is in depletion in places like Thailand and Malaysia. Driving to the airport today, I was reminded of our drive from the airport to Thamel and how my mouth hung wide open for the entire drive! Culture shock does not explain it!! It really is something that has to be seen.



The one thing I did not grow fond of during my time here is walking around the streets. There are no footpaths so you are walking on the road where there are cars, buses, motorbikes, bicycles and tuk tuks driving straight for you at every angle, hoking their horns furiously for you to get out of their way. It enraged me and I still haven't gotten used to it! That was the only negative for me though. And anyway, what you see when you walk along the roads makes up for the headaches!

I'm not sure if anywhere will ever effect me the way that Nepal has. It was my first experience in a third world country and it is one I will never forget. There is something in Nepal for everyone, trekking, boating, paragliding, shopping, eating...everyone is catered for and I have seen such a huge variety of travellers here to prove it. I have gotten a taste of this beautiful country and I will continue to return for more, I have no doubt about that

It is written everywhere and it is true...

N never

E ending

P peace

A and

L love

No comments:

Post a Comment