Monday 2 April 2012

Thurs 29th march - day 3 Poon Hill

Gheoropani - Poon hill 2750m- 3200m

We are just down from Poon Hill. I still don't quite know how to feel. I feel like I need to have the biggest cry in the world but it's just stuck inside and I can't. Very strange emotion! It was the most surreal morning of my life.

We got up at 4am and left for the final leg of the trek up to Poon Hill. The moment I woke I was already shivering. Didn't take too long to heat up as we met more steps, steeper than ever, and began to climb the final 450m. The climb was so misleading. We could see a massive incline of steps and then flat surface..leading you to believe it was the top. Each time we believed we were there but always there was another climb.

Behind us we could see the first tiny break of blue light far over the mountains. This spurred us on and we didn't dare stop for fear of missing the big show at the top.

An hour later we were 3010m high in Poon Hill. I couldn't believe what was before us, again writing this as I eat breakfast I am almost in tears! We counted just four other people on top when we got there. We were still in darkness but the light was beginning to change...you know like when you're walking home from a party in the summer?

Luke befriended a puppy!

Gradually more people arrived. We stood, shivering, transfixed on the mountain before us as. After another hour, and with about 100 more people, we saw the bright ball of fire appear over one of the peaks. It quickly rose, sending its rays straight across the horizon, lighting up Annapourna.


It is the most incredible thing I have ever whitnessed. We stood, paralysed in awe. I can't explain our feelings. A cocktail of exaustion, tension, excitement, bewilderment, confusion, respect and exhilliration. It packed a bloody punch!!

Luke wearing Stevie's shirt :)


Luke & Abilas


After pushing ourselves so hard the last few days, I really felt like we deserved every second of what we felt and saw. If we could have just arrived there by mini bus I don't think it would have had nearly as big an impact.




The air at the top was so pure and cold. It felt just like a Winter's morning at home. For the first time I actually felt really homesick, if there was a plane waiting for us on top I think we would have boarded and come stright home, very content.



I should also mention that Luke smoked his last cigarette on top of Poon Hill this morning...if he can stick to it, it's a pretty cool place to leave it behind. You can do it Lukey!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment