Tuesday 17 April 2012

Indian Visa process

The Indian visa process is tedious to say the least and can even dishearten the most optimistic traveller, as i found out!

You can apply for the visa from your home country but as soon as it is issued the days start ticking down on your duration length. Because of this, applying at home is not ideal for someone who intends on backpacking for a few months before reaching India.

I travelled to Nepal after South East Asia so decided to apply for the visa there. Upon landing in Kathmandu I forgot all about applying for the visa as I got caught up in the hustle and bustle of the city. After five days I thought maybe I should get this visa in process as I was leaving to go to Pokhara the following day for trekking and wanted to visit some more towns after to Pokhara so if I applied now, the visa would take a week, I could travel around for three weeks maybe then come back to Kathmandu, collect it and leave straight for India.

Anyway, foolishly the day I decided to go to the embassy was Sunday and it was obviously closed. I left the following day for Pokhara and in the sorry situation of having to return to Kathmandu for at least a week to apply for the visa.

LESSON ONE:as soon as you get to Kathmandu go and start the application process!!!! You will end up waisting time in KTM otherwise.

So a week later, I arrived back from Pokhara, went to the embassy and to my unfortunate luck it was Good Friday so again, the embassy was closed!

LESSON TWO: Check for Indian holidays to be sure the embassy will be open!

After the weekend I returned and Hallelujah, it was open! Anyway, I'll break it down into steps so it will be more to the point.
-If you're staying in Thamel you can walk very easily to the embassy which is just 20 minutes away and down a straight road. You will save yourself 150rupees!
Aim to get to the embassy for around 7am. It doesn't open until 8.30 but there will be lots of travellers there so it's good to get there early. The embassy closes at 12 so if you're not seen before then you have to return the following day which is a pain!

-Bring your passport and a black pen on your first day. You also need 300rupees to pay for the Telex form which the post to your home county. For some reason when I filled out my Telex form they asked for the name AND phone number of my hostel. I didn't have the phone number so made one up. The official was not impressed and made me go out to an Internet cafe and get the correct number. Unnecessary hassle. Also, there are offices beside the embassay which will offer to photocopy your passport and visa stamp claiming it's necessary for application..it's not so ignore them!

-Take a ticket when you get into the office and wait to be called.

-After taking your Telex form they will give you a visa application form. Fill that out later at your hostel and stick a passport photo to it. They will also tell you a day to return, usually five days later.

-Upon returning bring your visa application form, telex form receipt and correct money for visa. Again get there early and que.

-They will take all your documentation, keep your passport and tell you to return at 5pm that day.

-When you return you que (again) and eventually your passport is returned. Happy days!!!!!!

The process is a pain in the ass but it was so nice to see the happy smiling faces of each traveller as their passport was returned and they looked at their visa sticker with pride. India make you work hard to get into their country but I think it will all be worth it. I am sitting in Kathmandu airport now waiting for my flight to New Delhi and cannot wait to see what's in store. I feel I've earned it!!!!!
Good luck with your application!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment