Monday 14 May 2012

Bundi Fruit & Veg market

feelin' the heat!!

We have no real vegetable markets of our own at home, my only idea of such a market comes from programmes like Eastenenders where Cockney men tout their wear in a sing song of temptation! Bundi market was far from this. Turning from the busy hustle and bustle of the main bazzar, we followed a small alley way that led to the enclosed vegetable market. Calmness instatantly descended as we left the chaos of the outside market behind.





Vendors lined the street, their vibrant vegetables perfectly displayed in front of them. They sat quietly, speaking with each other and proudly surveying their fresh produce. I have never witnessed such a large quantity of fresh fruit and vegetables. The smells were incredible, especially from the large bags of basil and chill which were quite overpowering as we walked by.

I felt a strong sense of community amongst the traders and the local customers as we watched them converse. I felt very regretful that this is not apart of our fast paced supermarket dominated society at home. Observing life here at its most basic will change my attitude towards shopping for such things at home.





Every morning, I watch as the shop keepers/market stall owners set up their premises which usually spills outside onto the street. They meticulously stack their produce making sure every item is in its place. One morning I sat eating breakfast on a rooftop restaurant and watched the shopkeeper across from us spent an hour and a half perfecting his wares. It is such a nice trait. I am not going to continue running in and out of tesco for a quick loaf of bread or a bag of spuds, I will make the extra effort to support the smaller retailer who I can get to know and I will appreciate the work that person does to provide me with whatever goods I need. It's not that difficult but I guess the convenience of the larger chain supermarkets is often just too tempting.

a proud shopkeeper greeting us with a namasté


...A trip around Bundi fruit and veg market has thought me otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment