Thursday 9 February 2012

Final day in Kanchanaburi

Thursday 9th February

Last night we went to the night market. It's a wonderful market, quite big for a small town, you'd get lost wondering down the pathways between the beautiful stalls. The clothes are UNREAL! I could do serious damage here but am being very good! I've even seen dresses with specific prints on them, one of which I saw in Shoe for you in Waterford, it's got a mushroom print. Was so tempted to buy it before coming but at €50 I thought it was ridiculous. Very grateful I didn't, saw it on a stall here for 220 baht, which is just over €5!!!! I really loved this stall. She had the most beautiful illustrations on her garments which I didn't see anywhere else. I had to get a dress of course!!!


Today's our last day in Kanchanaburi. We had nothing planned, just to wander around. First we put our first batch of dirty clothes into the laundry hut down the road.....much needed! We just walked around the town then for the day. Visited a cemetery, by far the nicest I've ever seen...

We also visited the war museum in the village centre. Not the biggest fan of the old guns so I spent most of my time staring in awe at the ornate paint work on the ceiling and walls....hugely inspiring. Reminded me very much of a good friend of mines illustrations, Hannah Davies http://www.hannah-designs.com/

This lady's dress making stall reminded me on my buddies from college and the hours we spent over the sewing machine! Emsie, Sammy and Bee.... could you imagine doing it in this heat!!!


There's an abundance of fish in the river by our hut. Luke's never managed to catch a fish at home so it was top of his list of his priorities when he saw the little guys here!!! We have spent all week looking for a fishing rod. Tao (our guide from Erawan falls) asked around and sussed out a fishing tackle shop so he finally got his supplies! We sat by the river for two hours this afternoon...not a thing. Came back this evening after dinner and as I sit here sipping a cold Singha, Lukey has finally caught his first fish! He is elated!!!!

I can't describe the sounds here by the swamp. Ever kind of bird and cricket all singing together, it's something else. I better go, have to decide where we're going tomorrow. Thinking of getting the train to Chumphon for a couple of days then a boat over to Ko Tao. It's a 14hr train journey so leaving at 7am.

Kanchanaburi you have been good to us, if you ever get the chance come visit this beautiful town!

No comments:

Post a Comment